T20 WC 2024: “We can become the first team to actually win the tournament at home”- West Indies White-ball Coach Darren Sammy believes the team can go all the way in the Marquee Event

Spread the love

Darren Sammy, the former West Indies captain, believes that the West Indies team possesses the necessary qualities to clinch victory in the upcoming T20 World Cup scheduled for June this year.

Darren Sammy, who serves as the white-ball coach for the West Indies team, has expressed his admiration for their recent performances, particularly their T20I series victories against South Africa, India, and England last year, with scores of 2-1, 3-2, and 3-2 respectively. He believes that these victories have provided them with significant momentum as they prepare for the upcoming T20I series against Australia.

Sammy shared his thoughts before the West Indies’ inaugural T20I encounter against Australia, expressing confidence in the team’s abilities.

The way we’ve progressed over the last year, we didn’t lose a T20 series in 2023, confidence is building, momentum is building. We all believe that we can become the first team to actually win the tournament at home, and that’s what we are working towards.”

Sammy emphasized the significance of players gaining ample exposure by participating in various T20 franchise leagues across the globe.

Our guys will not be playing international cricket, but they will not be short of cricket. So many leagues, (they) play in the IPL (Indian Premier League), the PSL (Pakistan Super League), and obviously playing (the World Cup) at home, it’s our conditions.”

West Indies T20I squad against Australia: 

Rovman Powell (c), Shai Hope, Johnson Charles, Roston Chase, Jason Holder, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Brandon King, Kyle Mayers, Gudakesh Motie, Nicholas Pooran, Andre Russell, Sherfane Rutherford, Romario Shepherd, Oshane Thomas

We’re not going to carry the ODI series to Hobart“- Darren Sammy

Despite Australia’s dominance in the ODI series, Darren Sammy remains optimistic about the morale of the West Indies T20I squad. He believes that with a mix of new talents and seasoned campaigners, they are poised to bounce back, express themselves freely, and aim for victory in the upcoming T20I series.

We’re not going to carry the ODI series to Hobart,” he added. “It’s a fresh squad, a settled squad, more experience (and) guys who believe they are some of the best in the world to do it.

“I expect to see a different attitude, a different brand and we expect to come out there and compete and win.”

Darren Sammy, who captained the West Indies to T20 World Cup triumphs in 2012 and 2016, is preparing for the upcoming T20I series against Australia, with the first match scheduled to take place in Hobart on Friday, February 9th.

Also Read: https://goworldwide.co.in/psl-2024-either-you-give-me-the-full-series-or-leave-me-out-altogether-or-dont-hang-me-in-the-middle-azam-khan-slams-the-pakistan-team-management-for-unfair-treatment/

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *