Hardik-Pandya-and-Irfan-Pathan pic credit - X

T20 Men’s World Cup 2024: “Just Because Some Players Are Performing Well In IPL…”: Irfan Pathan’s Stern Reminder To Selectors Ahead Of T20 World Cup Squad Announcement

Spread the love

The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup selection squad is going to be revealed soon. All-rounder Irfan Pathan strictly urged the selection committee to avoid any unnecessary biases when finalizing the players for the upcoming event. Irfan Pathan suggests that IPL should not be the sole consideration of the players’ form of performance and that the selection committee should look into their past performances too.

You shouldn’t forget a player’s previous contributions for India- Irfan Pathan

” When you’re in a selection committee, you shouldn’t forget a player’s previous contributions for India, even before the IPL,” Pathan mentioned on Stars Sports.

” You should never forget that, and I’m not referring to events from too far back. This should always be taken into consideration. Just because some players are performing well in the IPL, It doesn’t mean they should automatically be selected,” he added.

Irfan Pathan shared his own experience when he dropped from the team after receiving an injury. But the process was changed in the later years when Wriddhiman Saha was given a chance in the team despite missing a whole year of cricket due to an injury.

Pathan added, ” I was part of the Indian team, when Cheeka (Kris Srikkhanth) sir was a selector. I got injured and was dropped from the team after that, despite having played for India.”

” I have no qualms at all… but I’m saying, at that time, the situation was different. The mindset, perhaps of the captain or the selection committee, was different. But lets talk about the 2010s. Wriddhiman Saha was literally out of the team for a year due to injury. When he recovered, he returned to the squad and made it into the Playing XI after a year.”

Pathan’s observation highlighted an important difference between International cricket and IPL when it comes to balling line-up. In International cricket, each team field typically experienced players and skilled bowling attacks consisting of seasoned players who had proven themselves in every aspect of the games. On the other hand, in the IPL, one or two inexperienced players might be included who may have the potential but they simply lack the experience that the international players have gained over these years.

” In the IPL, there are always one or two uncapped bowlers who can be easily smacked due to small grounds and flat pitches,” Pathan said.

” However, international cricket is a different beast altogether. you’ll have five bowlers, each with a significant number of matches under their belt before entering the World Cup, bringing tons of experience,” he stated.

You’ll be up against top-quality bowlers like Mitchell Starc. While Starc’s performance in the IPL may differ, you’ll still be facing top-quality bowlers. For instance, from Sri Lanka, you might face someone like Pathirana. But you’ll also have the other four bowlers, who are top-quality performers. So, don’t overlook their contributions. While considering recent performances is important, remember their achievements for the Indian team before the IPL as well,” he added.

IND vs ENG: “I Credits Ashwin and Jadeja for Bowling Prowess, Delighted with Bairstow Dismissal”- Axar Patel

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *